Here is a list of the top ten things to do in the nearby area. Most are low or no cost.
1. The kelpies- much more than big horse heads! Lovely scenic walks and a fanstatic childrens park. A favourite time to go is dusk when the changing lights of the kelpies are mesmerising.
2. The Falkirk Wheel- again more than a big wheel, as interesting as it is. Great childrens play area, water fun area, the canal and good cafe too.
3. Callender House- free to visit Stately home surrounded by a park. Good play area and activities for children during school holidays.
4. Palacerigg country park. A small petting zoo, treetop walk and deer park feature in this free park. Visitors centre and play park. All free
5. Canada wood bike trails. Hire a bike and explore the local countryside. Bikes for all and a very decent restuarant to replace the calories.
6. Roller blading disco style! www.rocknroller.co.uk
7. The time capsule- best swimming pool in the area with flumes. Ice skating onsite. Afterwards explore Summerlee industrial museumn....free!
8. http://www.wellsfield.co.uk/farmpark.php - outdoor play area just a few minutes drive. Activities for younger children...max age 11-12. Horse riding onsite too!
9. Strathclyde park- nearest we have to disney with Mand Ds theme park but also a loch to wander round and some good play areas. Boats can be hired.
10. The Antonine Wall- while staying it would be a shame not to explore Rough Castle and the Antonine Wall. Just walk out the gate and turn left and keep walking. You can walk to the Falkirk wheel.